Friday, September 17, 2010

Pray for Families (Reconnect)

Good Morning Prayer Warriors,

As I boarded my aircraft heading home to Seattle last night, I noticed my seatmate happily using his cell phone. Slight jealously arose in me as only minutes prior I had come to the panicked realization that I had left my iphone at my mother’s house. With no iphone to distract me from real human conversation, I began to talk to him. 2½ hours later we finished our conversation, only because the plane landed. I won’t share the part about him being an Emmy-winning TV producer/director/writer, but I will share what I learned about family. And something tells me that his devout Irish-Catholic mom who loves her rosary, somehow shaped his love of family.

He is the oldest of 34 cousins. He brings them together from all over the country every year. He showed me, not in words but in his expression, the beauty of keeping your extended family tight. When he talked about his family, his face lit up more than it did when he was talking about any of his numerous professional successes.

The beauty of family is that for the most part, they love you unconditionally. They have seen us at our best and our worst. We can reach to them for help or to help. They are the refuge in the deluge! Without tight family connections who would be there for us in the long haul?

Love one another with brotherly affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Never flag in zeal, be aglow with the Spirit, serve the Lord. Rom 12:10-11

Continue to pray for the strengthening of families. Reach out to a relative that you haven’t spoken with in a while and reestablish the connection.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet