Monday, September 9, 2019

Pray for Marriages (Expectant Parents)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Although in the distant past, I can still remember awaiting the arrival of parenthood. Nothing is more exciting or terrifying than expecting your first child. The awe and wonder of bringing new life into the world can be thrilling, but not having an instruction manual is absolutely terrifying. Newborns tug at your heart in new and unexpected ways. However, their demands can strain any marriage, especially when you glare at your spouse (and they right back at you) expecting more; more help, more love, more empathy, more TLC, more diaper changing, etc.  Since my husband and I didn’t live near any family, on the worst days it felt like we were playing a game of hot potato with our newborn.  

“Here, you take her.” 
“No, you keep her, I’m tired, I just came home from work.”
 “Please, I need a break!” 
“Can’t you make her stop crying first? And change her too?”

And often, the merry-go-round continued.

My soul rests in God alone. Psalm 62:2

I wish back then my spouse and I acknowledged our helplessness and handed it over to the Lord. I know He would have sent His own Mother to gently speak to us, guide our steps, calm us, and boost our confidence, like only a Mother with lots of children can do. 

Therefore, I prayed, and prudence was given me. I pleaded and the spirit of Wisdom came to me. I preferred her to scepter and throne, and deemed riches nothing in comparison with her.  Wisdom 7:7-8

Lord, we ask for special graces for new parents, that in the midst of their parental insecurities, you give them the gifts of wisdom, patience, and love. May you enlighten their minds and open their hearts that they may nurture, guide, and discipline not only their child, but all the children you may bless them with. Finally, be the third strand in their marriage, making it unbreakable. Make them a shining witness to your love, that you may be forever glorified. Amen. 

It is good to give thanks to the LORD, to sing praise to your name, Most High, to proclaim your love at daybreak, your faithfulness in the night.  Psalm 92:2-3

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Prayer for another never expires. Pass it on!