Friday, January 10, 2020

Pray for Families (Forgiveness and Patience)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Ten days into the New Year and I am completely out of step with my expectations of myself for 2020.  (I even forgot to blog!) How easy it is to beat up ourselves!  Perhaps we need to begin the year by asking ourselves who we need to forgive for not living up to our expectations, beginning with ourselves.  Introspectively, we need to focus on what theLord’s expectationfor us is.  Every time we misstep, He assures us of His love and encourages us to keep moving forward. When we offend Him and seek forgiveness with a contrite heart, He offers us his mercy. 

Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the LORD, your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, abounding in steadfast love, and relenting in punishment.  Joel 2:13

Next, we need to look at our family and ask ourselves, who have we been uncharitable to for not living up to our expectations.  We need to treat them as Christ treats us: with love, encouragement, and mercy.  Even the Lord admonishes us, but it is always with a heart filled with love.  

You are my God; be gracious to me, Lord; to you I call all the day. Gladden the soul of your servant;to you, Lord, I lift up my soul. Lord, you are good and forgiving, most merciful to all who call on you. LORD, hear my prayer; listen to my cry for help. Psalms 86:2-6

Lord, help us to see ourselves as you do; a cherished child of God.  Help us to understand that You gave each of us different spiritual gifts.  May we not expect family members to be just like us. (Or perhaps they are and that’s why there are difficulties?) Lord, give each of us the grace to see our family through Your eyes and grant us the wisdom to have appropriate expectations of them, with the patience to help them fulfill Your most perfect plan. Jesus, we trust in You!

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Mercy me! Mercy you! Pass it on!