Friday, June 17, 2011

Pray for Families (Growth in Virtue)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

As I listen to the news on a daily basis, I am struck by the lost concept of sin. People don’t even try to hide their sin, but rather brag about it. Then there are those with the misguided concept that think that sinful behaviors done in private aren’t hurting anyone else. With the advent of the Internet and social media, opportunities abound like never before for family members to slip and fall into very dangerous territory. The irony is that when one is steeped in sin, it does not lead them to greater happiness, but rather misery. Sin separates us from God, the source of all joy. But by turning to the Lord and expressing sorrow, we can quickly move from sadness to joy.

Do not reprove me in your anger, LORD, nor punish me in your wrath. Have pity on me, LORD, for I am weak; heal me, LORD, for my bones are trembling. Ps 6: 2-3

I sought the LORD, who answered me, delivered me from all my fears. Look to God that you may be radiant with joy and your faces may not blush for shame. Ps 34: 5-6

As we pray, let us focus on the battle against the Seven Deadly Sins: greed, pride, anger, envy, sloth, gluttony, and lust. The virtues that help us overcome the deadly sins are known as The Seven Cardinal Virtues: generosity, humility, meekness, brotherly love, diligence, temperance and chastity. For our family prayer today, let us pray that all of us can be released from those deadly sins that most affect us. May the Lord generously pour out His grace upon us so that we may grow in the virtues that we need to be a light to others in the world.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Help others grow in virtue. Invite them to prayer.