Monday, February 4, 2013

Pray for Marriages (Conquering evil with good)


Greetings Prayer Warriors,

While reading scripture, the following grabbed me:

Do not be conquered by evil but conquer evil with good.  Romans 12:21

This is a tall order I thought; a Christ-like order in any regard.  But in the light of marriage, are we all called to love in the face of evil?  Then I chuckled.  It’s funny how we never look at ourselves as evil, only other people!

Evil “exists in the universe, to the desires and needs of individuals.”* 
Hmmm.  Where’s that mirror?

Do I act according to my personal desires?
Do I oppress my spouse or cause them mental suffering such as anxiety or disappointment?
Do I perpetrate evil by deviating morally?

“All evil.…consists not in the acquisition of anything, but in the loss or deprivation of something necessary for perfection.”*
Am I getting in the way of my spouse’s perfection?!

….. deliver us from the evil one.  Matthew 6:13

Conquer evil with something very good: The Lord’s Prayer.  Say The Lord’s Prayer for yourself, your spouse, your marriage, and all marriages.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Eliminate evil. Pray more.  Pass it on. 

* source: newadvent.org