Monday, June 17, 2013

Pray for Marriages (Oxygen for the Journey)


Greetings Prayer Warriors!

The beauty of the marriage covenant is something to be treasured.  When couples enter into marriage they anticipate the best, but often face days, weeks, or months that don’t always feel so idyllic. It can feel like a pirate stole their treasure!   The pain and anguish many experience is quite real.  Perseverance through difficulties can seem like climbing Mt Everest without oxygen.  The saints climb on, while the majority ask the Lord, “why?!”

I came across a prayer today that I thought was perfect for just such times.   When you find yourself sinking into a pool of bitterness and resentment, pray deeply within your soul:


“O God, you have allowed this to be; may your adorable desires and decrees be accomplished in all things: I make you a sacrifice of this difficulty and all its consequences; it shall take whatever from it pleases you: you are the Master; may you be blessed for all things and in all things.  Fiat!  For love of you, with all my heart I pardon the person who is the cause of my suffering; and, to show the sincerity of my feelings towards him/her, I beseech you to grant him/her every kind of grace, blessing, and happiness.”*

If your prayer doesn’t calm your negativity, continue on with:

“O God, you see my wretchedness; at least I long to have all these feelings, and I implore you for your grace.”*

I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

Your prayers are like bursts of oxygen.  Continue to pray so that you may lift up those marriages most in need.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

No pain is wasted when it is offered as a beautiful sacrifice to the Lord.  Pass it on! 

*From the writings of an 18th century priest, Fr. Jean-Pierre de Caussade, S.J.