Friday, November 14, 2014

Pray for Families (Listening to the Voice from Within)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Most people would probably say that God doesn’t talk to them.   Or perhaps they would say they just don’t hear his voice.  I too at times have fallen into this line of thinking.  However, the reality is that the Holy Spirit is prompting us all day long, and we are just too busy or self-absorbed to pay attention.  We are surrounded by constant noise and distractions to the delight of the Evil One.

Recently I was at my volunteer job at a local hospital, in their Pastoral Care Department.  I bring Holy Communion to patients, or just pray with them. One day I was trying to get through the long list of patients I had to see.  Since I never know ahead of time whether I will be volunteering for one hour or four hours, I am usually motivated to be efficient.   Certain names on my list get crossed out either because they have infectious conditions or they can’t swallow, or they are not responsive, etc.  I was ready to cross out a name when something made me stop and ask myself, shouldn’t you just stop in to see if they’d like to pray?   As I walked into the room, I was startled to see a friend sitting by the patient’s bedside.  I was to learn that it was their parent.  I suddenly realized the Holy Spirit pushed me into that room. 

“Oh, that today you would hear his voice: Harden not your hearts.” 
 Hebrews 4:7

Like many of us, I almost shushed that voice, because not listening to it would have added time back into my day. But by listening and acting, I was able to do His will. I was able to be His hands and feet, His voice and His presence. I was able to give my friend a hug.

“Be still and know that I am God! Psalm 46:10/11

Take some time to be still.  Pause throughout the day and sense what He is calling you to do for your family, your friends, and even strangers.   Spend some time in quiet prayer, and may your gift of service to God’s family be your prayer that rises to the heavens.   

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet


Encourage someone to take time to listen to the voice within.  Pass it on!