Friday, December 12, 2014

Pray for Families (Loving through Presence)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

The Christmas Holiday Season can create such an mental overload!  I was really feeling it this week as professional year-end obligations loomed largely and personal obligations awaited my attention, subtlety staring at me as if my “To-do List” had eyes!  And of course there was this blog to write. 

I dared to open my mail as I really didn’t have the time to read it.  I tore open an envelope and inside was an alumni fundraising request.  What leap off of the page though was the word F.A.M.I.L.Y. :  Forget About Me, I Love You.  I tossed it aside and continued on with my evening.   I was feeling unsettled, when I grabbed something with scripture passages and began reading:

Reflect on the precepts of the Lord, let his commandments be your constant meditation. Then he will enlighten your mind, and the wisdom you desire He will grant.  Sirach 6:37

My mind flashed to the Ten Commandments, when the focus of such a meditation became clearer to me.

You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Matthew 22:37-39

Suddenly the acronym F.A.M.I.L.Y. brought it all back into focus.  We exhibit love most fully (and convincingly) when we forget about ourselves and focus on another.  In doing so, we love Him more.   And isn’t that what Advent is about; opening ourselves to allow Him in, offering Him a greater presence in our life?

During this Advent and throughout the 12 days of Christmas, find true peace, joy, and love by meditating on scripture, spending time with family by being fully present, praying for and with family, and exclaiming in prayer, "Forget about me, I love You!"

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Share the greatest gift, being present to another and asking Him to be present to you..  Pass it on!  

Our Lady of Guadalupe, patron of the Americas, pray for us!