Monday, August 29, 2016

Pray for Marriages (Purging the Me-Monster)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Do you remember as a child, or perhaps experienced with your own children, that your/their focus was all about "me".  "Mommy, daddy, look at me!" children scream in a nonstop loop.  While it’s somewhat endearing in the young child, it’s not so much with an adult. Unfortunately in today's culture some adults seem to have never outgrown the "look at me!" phase.  "Look at my cool car!  Look at my custom home! Look at my amazing vacation pictures! Look at my new title! Look at my new hot wife/husband!"

If we are hyper-focused on our material and professional success, seeking to glorify ourselves, how can we truly ever enter in to a marital relationship of self-giving with our spouse, let alone Jesus?  Jesus must be the one we glorify.  It should not be look at me, but rather, look at Him.  It is only by looking at the cross that one can understand what real love and who should be the focus of our love.

So be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and handed himself over for us as a sacrificial offering to God for a fragrant aroma.  Ephesians 5:1-2

By imitating Christ’s sacrificial love, a complete giving of self for the beloved, your marriage will be transformed.

Lord, help us to let go of all the excesses that steal our love and attention from our spouse and from you.   Please fill us with your grace!  Help us to turn from our self-love and focus outward rather than inward. For in loving you, we will learn to love selflessly. May we glorify you by loving our spouse as you loved the church.  All glory and honor is yours, now and forever!

He must increase; I must decrease! John 3:30

All is possible when you begin and end with prayer! 

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Help others purge the Me-Monster.  Pass it on!