Monday, January 9, 2017

Pray for Marriages. (Immersed in the "for worse")

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

When couples marry, I imagine that little time is spent contemplating the "for worse" part of the wedding vows.  Below is what I imagine many must think, and I must say I don’t exclude myself from such naivetĂ©.

For better, for worse
“Oh, I've already seen my fiancĂ© at their very worst!” (Insert your thoughts here)

For richer, for poorer
“Who needs lots of money to live on? We will live on love! I am sure if one of us loses a job, we'll just find another one (soon).”  (Insert your thoughts here)

In sickness and in health
I’m sure my spouse will get the flu and colds and stuff like that.” I won’t mind making chicken soup. (Insert your thoughts here)

Until death do us part
“Nothing can separate me from my beloved! We'll be pretty old by then anyway, so guess death is to be expected.” (Insert your thoughts here)

The truth, as you know it, is probably much different. Once kids, responsibilities, mortgages, health issues, and so on enter a relationship, scenarios that you never dreamed of arise. You enter the land of the unknown. This is when vows are put to the test.

There is no wealth better than health of body, and there is no gladness above joy of heart. Gladness of heart is the very life of a person, and cheerfulness prolongs his days. Distract yourself and renew your courage, drive resentment far away from you; For grief has killed many, and nothing is to be gained from resentment. Envy and anger shorten one’s days, and anxiety brings on premature old age.  Sirach 30:16, 22-24


Let us pray a prayer of love and fidelity for couples whose marriages feel like they are gasping for air in the tides of "for worse".

Lord Jesus, you have a special place in your heart for marriage, since your first miracle was to turn water into wine at a marriage feast so that joy wouldn’t be diminished. Lord, increase the joy of all married couples, especially those caught in the riptides. You are the air that we breathe, the healing waters of mercy, and the Sacred Heart that brings inexplicable joy!  Lord, infuse marriages with new life!  Amen.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Let us rejoice in the fact that in a sacramental marriage, “the consent by which the spouses mutually give and receive one another is sealed by God himself.” (CCC 1639)  Thus, our Lord will not withhold his grace!  Pass it on!