Friday, April 7, 2017

Pray for Families (The Way of the Cross)


Greeting Prayer Warriors,

When I was a very young and thought about Christ’s Passion, it was with a child’s perspective. When I first learned that Jesus fell several times as he walked up to Calvary, I thought, “That must be have been a very large and heavy cross!”  It never occurred to me that the weight of it was because he carried my/our sins.  Nor did I realize that his thirst was for my/our love.

I looked for compassion, but there was none, for comforters, but found none.  Psalms 69:21

Now my thoughts drift to those individuals Jesus encountered on the Way of the Cross.  I sense their role with fresh eyes too. Each of those who interacted with him mirror what we cross-bearers should be to one another.  Like Simon, we need to help those feeling crushed by the weight of their cross.  Like Veronica, we need to bring compassion and simple kindnesses to those struggling with each step.  Like the women who’s hearts cried out at witnessing such brutality, we must cry out in prayer to our God for injustices inflicted on others. And like the Blessed Mother and the faithful few standing at the foot of the cross with Jesus, we as a community must stand with those who give all for others, with the encouraging gift of our prayerful presence.

Compassion, consolation, comfort, community, carry, and cry out.  All are beautiful prayers of action. As we approach Holy Week, let’s begin to pray in action for our families.

In everything we commend ourselves as ministers of God, through much endurance, in afflictions, hardships, constraints … by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, in a holy spirit, in unfeigned love, 2 Corinthians 6: 4,6

Be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ. Ephesians 4:32

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Take action!  Pass it on!