Monday, April 18, 2011

Pray for Marriages (Reconciliation)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

As we begin Holy Week, my thoughts turn toward forgiveness. Have you ever been hurt by someone? I reflect back to a time many years ago, when I was deeply hurt by a friend. The anger that I felt was so intense that I was consumed by it. It would creep into almost every conversation that I had with others. Finally, after some time, I decided to let go of my anger and forgive her. What amazed me most was the realization that the anger I held on to so tightly had been poisoning me not her! My forgiveness began the healing in me. The peace I had been trying to recover had been obscured by my anger and my initial refusal to forgive.

I have not come to invite the self-righteous to a change of heart, but sinners. Luke 5:32

Forgiveness was a hallmark of Christ’s ministry. He understood that peace only reigns with love, and that without forgiveness, there is no love.

Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ, God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We beseech you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 2 Cor 5:17-20

Spend this week reconciling yourself to your spouse, your family, your friends, your coworkers, and/or your classmates. Create a new Garden of Peace in your heart. Like Christ, plant seeds of forgiveness so that love will eventually bloom and peace will reign. Then say an extra prayer for the reconciliation of marriages.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet