Monday, February 27, 2012

Pray for Marriages (Love Inventory)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

LOVE. One syllable, four letters. The primary message of all of the gospels. It doesn’t refer to a feeling, but an action. Easy to say, difficult to consistently live.

In saying the marriage vows, the promise to love is an ACTION. Yet so many marriages fail because once the feeling is gone, the action is stops. However, love in action, can bring back the feeling.

Lent is a great time to reflect on one’s own role as a loving spouse. While the desire would be to determine what we’d like to see in our spouse, we must first look into the mirror ourselves. What expectations do you have of yourself as a spouse? Here are just a few questions to begin your self-evaluation:

Who do I put first in this relationship?
Do I set aside quality time for my spouse?
Do I give them positive affirmations?
Do I have higher expectations for them than for myself?
Have I honored by marriage vows?
Do I lead with love as an action, even when the feelings of love aren’t there?


The shrewd man's wisdom gives him knowledge of his way, but the folly of fools is their deception. Guilt lodges in the tents of the arrogant, but favor in the house of the just. The heart knows its own bitterness, and in its joy no one else shares.
Proverbs 14:8-10

Pray for your spouse and all marriages, that they be sustained by grace, and renewed by the power of the Holy Spirit. Pray also for all priests and religious, that they too may stay true to their vows.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Psalm 51:10-12

In the end, make a commitment with your spouse to L.O.V.E.:
“Live Our Vocation Everyday.”

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Challenge others to inventory their love. Pass it on.