Friday, November 29, 2013

Pray for Families (Black Friday)


Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Black Friday--good or bad?

Thanksgiving Day traditionally has been a wonderful time for extended families to take a break, come together, and give thanks to God for all the many blessings received.  As retail madness bleeds into Thanksgiving Day however, the focus is shifting from a day of gratitude and glory to God to one focused on serving the god of greed, pride, envy and materialism.

Family members working retail are now forced to work on what previously was a holiday or at least an abbreviated workday.  Thanksgiving is being cut short as family members leave early or opt out of the Thanksgiving meal altogether, so they can shop for, acquire, and earn the bragging rights to the best deals ever. 

The attack on the family is in full swing and we don’t even see it.

‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’ Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God.” 
Luke 12:20-21

Perhaps we should redefine the meaning of Black Friday by viewing it in the pre-dawn shadow of Advent.  May we instead use Black Friday as a day of introspection, to place ourselves in the light of Christ and see how we have fallen short in the darkness of our lives.  Then we can boldly step into Advent and truly prepare our hearts and lives for the renewal of Christ in our hearts. 

In the morning let me hear of your mercy, for in you I trust. Show me the path I should walk, for I entrust my life to you. Rescue me, LORD, from my foes, for I seek refuge in you. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your kind spirit guide me on ground that is level. Psalm 143; 8-10

Start a new tradition and preserve the old.  Spend Advent in prayer for your family, asking that they may be renewed by a new life in Christ. 

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Keep prayer as your unchanging tradition.  Pass it on!