Friday, September 11, 2015

Pray for Families (Cleaning House)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Some people love housework, however I am not one of them.  There may be a few chores that invigorate me, but for the most part, I clean and tidy up my home because I understand the importance of it for my health, for my sanity, and for our guests. What most motivates me to clean the most, is having company over!  I believe my guests deserve to be welcomed appropriately.  I choose soul-satisfying food and drink and great music just to make my guests feel special and at home.

Now what if our Lord was coming over?  Would I prepare differently?   Then it hits me. Do I understand the importance of keeping His home clean?  Have I considered that He lives in me?

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? 
1 Corinthians 6:19

I am His dwelling place.  Am I prepared to host such a guest? Am I a fitting host?  While my pride may not let me skimp on my exterior, do I take time to keep my interior equally pristine?  What is the condition of my soul? 

The lamp of the body is your eye. When your eye is sound, then your whole body is filled with light, but when it is bad, then your body is in darkness.  Luke 11:34

If my eyes are the windows to my soul, do I monitor what streams in?  Do I filter what I watch or what I read so as not to offend my holy guest, the Holy Ghost?  

Take care, then, that the light in you not become darkness. Luke 11:35

Do I monitor what I hear and what I listen to?  What sounds penetrate my soul (not to mention the souls of those around me)?

“Everything is lawful for me,” but not everything is beneficial. 
1 Corinthians 6:12

What do I do to my body and with my body?  Have I inadvertently given the Lord an eviction notice? 

Whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.  Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body.  1 Corinthians 6:17-18

For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.  I Corinthians 6:20

Lord, illuminate our darkness so that we may see the cobwebs surrounding our soul.  We welcome your Light to help us find the path towards purity of heart, mind, body, and soul.   As we “cleanse our temple”, help us be an encouraging witness to our family and to others.  We pray for the grace we and our families need to become holy. We praise you for your enduring love and mercy! Amen.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Share a “house-cleaning” tip. Pass it on!