Friday, January 26, 2018

Pray for Families (Real Pleasure)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

I’m in Vegas and frankly it’s a bit overwhelming. Scents and sounds are everywhere, all part of the design to pull you in and stimulate your pleasure receptors. People throng to places where they feel they can enjoy themselves without judgment, because “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”. But fragrances and cadences that descend you into decadence truly aren’t good for the soul. 

I probed with my mind how to beguile my senses with wine and take up folly, until I should understand what is good for human beings to do under the heavens during the limited days of their lives. But when I turned to all the works that my hands had wrought, and to the fruit of the toil for which I had toiled so much, see! all was vanity and a chase after wind. There is no profit under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:3,11

Conversely, “Smells and bells,” references to incense used during Mass and the bells announcing both the descent of the Holy Spirit and the transubstantiation of the bread and wine, are used to awaken your senses to the holy. They are to awaken you to the miracle at hand and the love that Jesus has for us. The beautiful art within the church is to draw you in to the holy scenes they represent.  The light streaming through the stained glass reflecting a kaleidoscope of colors is to give you a glimpse of the heavenly realm. If we are receptive to all that awaits us here, then our pleasure will be immense.

I probed with my mind how to beguile my senses with wine and take up folly, until I should understand what is good for human beings to do under the heavens during the limited days of their lives. But when I turned to all the works that my hands had wrought, and to the fruit of the toil for which I had toiled so much, see! all was vanity and a chase after wind. There is no profit under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:3,11

We haven’t addressed the fear of being judged by others though. Perhaps we prefer to judge instead.  This is where we all need help. A church is its people, and if it’s people are judgmental, who would want to flock there? We are to love as Christ has loved us and forgive as Christ has forgiven. Leave the judgment seat to God!

Examine yourselves to see whether you are living in faith. Test yourselves. Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you?  2 Corinthians 13:5

As for Catholics, you have a fount of grace awaiting you in the confessional. What’s said in the confessional stays in the confessional! It’s the counterpoint to Vegas!

Lord, help each of us and each member of our family to make good choices each day. When we go astray, help us to right ourselves.May we love others rather than sit in judgment. Help us to forgive ourselves as well. May we encourage and assist those who derail and love them back to you. You are the pleasure, joy, and happiness we seek. Give us the wisdom to understand that. Amen.

I, the LORD, have called you for justice, I have grasped you by the hand; I formed you, and set you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations. Isaiah 42:6

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

True pleasure, a lasting treasure, is only found in Him. Pass it on!