Monday, September 24, 2018

Pray for Marriages (Asking the Hard Questions)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

On Sunday during the homily, I was struck by the priest’s challenge regarding one’s faith/religion. I’ll paraphrase. “Are you asking the hard questions? “ he challenged, “or, do you just practice your religion because it was passed down to you generationally?  His point was that without critical thinking, challenging the premise, hearing all perspectives, doing your own research, and discovering the foundation you’ll never own your faith, let alone be able to defend it.

The heart of the intelligent acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.  Proverbs 18:15

Perhaps that applies to marriage as well.  Do you ask the hard questions? Why did Jesus make marriage indissoluble? Why would he choose to perform his first miracle at a wedding feast? What does it mean, “the two shall become one”? What’s the purpose of having children? Does it matter? Does marriage matter?

All these things I probed in wisdom. I said, “I will acquire wisdom”; but it was far beyond me. What exists is far-reaching; it is deep, very deep: Who can find it out? I turned my heart toward knowledge; I sought and pursued wisdom and its design, and I recognized that wickedness is foolishness and folly is madness. Ecclesiastes 7:23-25

When we don't seek to understand the “why”, we create our own false narrative to fit our own situation.

Lord, increase our curiosity to learn, to be your disciples. May we seek to understand your perfect plan for marriage and grow in perfect love. Set our hearts aflame; give us the fire of desire! May you bless our efforts and our marriages!

There is plenty of information available to answer the “Why?” Take the step toward fully owning your marital commitment.

Peace, Love, and Joy,
Janet

Challenge the apathetic. Pass it on!