Friday, October 27, 2023

Pray for Families (A Daily Act of the Will)

 Greetings Prayer Warriors,


God presented us with a great challenge. He made in His image and likeness, gave us free will, and then made what seemed on the surface to be a simple request. “Follow me.” And how did we respond?


What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I concur that the law is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. Romans 7:15-17


Sin gets in the way all the time! It pushes us down the road to perdition. We don’t know why we sin.  Our family doesn’t know why they sin. They just do! Yet Jesus reassures us that we don’t walk alone. We are strengthened by prayer and the sacraments to resist sin. With the help of His grace, we must make a daily act of the will to sin no more and to follow Him.


If you fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. So speak and so act as people who will be judged by the law of freedom. For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment. 

James 2:8, 12-13


Show mercy. Be patient with one another. Be quick to forgive an offense. Be compassionate and loving. Affirm good. Renounce evil. This is following Jesus. 


The LORD, the LORD, a God gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in love and fidelity, continuing his love for a thousand generations, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion, and sin.  Exodus 34:6-7


Lord, we pray that your grace and guiding hand may lead our families down the narrow path. Be our “bumpers” that we may not fall into the gutters of life. Hear our prayers for one another, and in your delight, hear and answer us. Amen.


Peace, Joy, and Love,

Janet


Mercy triumphs over judgment. Pass it on!