Friday, June 1, 2012

Pray for Families (Interdependence)


Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Some people dread each passing year, focusing on gray hairs, health problems, and middle-aged spread, but I have learned to instead embrace my hard-earned wisdom that only came from age.  If only I had such wisdom in my youth!

I used to get frustrated with friends and family members, who just didn’t seem to respond to situations in their lives the way that I would.  The “appropriate” response seemed so obvious to me.  I would think they just didn’t have enough common sense.  However, I now realize it wasn’t necessarily a lack of common sense, but rather a difference in our gifts.  What I labeled as common sense behaviors were often my gift from God.  Conversely, I noticed others had different gifts, excelling in ways that I could only dream of.  These differences in gifts are meant to bring us together, to create an interdependence, and thus unity in Christ.  They are not meant to be divisive. We are one in Christ. We are one body.

For as in one body we have many parts, and all the parts do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ and individually parts of one another. Romans 12:4-5

There are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I do not need you," nor again the head to the feet, "I do not need you." Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary, and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable we surround with greater honor, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety, whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another. 1 Cor 12: 20-25

Pray for the cohesion of families, that each member brings their God-given gifts to be shared, that we embrace and welcome each other’s gifts, and use them for the building up of the family, the Church and ultimately the world.

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Strengthen the family; begin with prayer.  Pass it on.