Friday, December 9, 2016

Pray for Families (The Present in the Presence)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Do you find yourself a little crazed this time of year or are you calm?  I have to admit that I always feel a bit overwhelmed with all I have to accomplish and wish I were one of those people ready for Christmas by September.  (Not the decorating part though!)   However, I never will be, so I have to find the proper balance.  Experience has taught me that if I focus too much on the “to-do list”, I miss all the joy of the family time.

As they continued their journey he entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary [who] sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.” The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”  Luke 10:38-42

Are you a Martha or Mary?  Martha focused on the need to serve and her joy was lost as she separated herself from the “guest” and let herself get frustrated that Mary wasn’t helping.  (Sound familiar?)  Mary sat at the feet of Jesus, being totally present to Him and thus he was to her.  If we aren’t present to others, how will they see the Jesus in us and how will we experience the Jesus in them?

This Christmas Season, let’s pray that all are able to be present in the presence of others. 

Lord, we thank you for the gift of family and ask you to bless them; the ones you blessed us with and the ones we have chosen.  Help us to focus on the necessary and not the unnecessary so that we don’t miss out on time with loved ones. May the only high bar of expectation be one of opening our hearts completely and unreservedly to You for You are the reason for the season. Please give us the grace to always be present to your presence in and around us.  You are our Joy!

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Spread the Christmas spirit.  Pass it on!