Monday, October 12, 2015

Pray for Marriages (Always and Forever)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Years ago, I seemed to be at the receiving end of a steady stream of stories about people separating and/or divorcing.  Having experienced ups and downs in my own marriage prior to that, I found all these stories very unsettling and quite heart-breaking. Inside, something urged and encouraged me to recruit people to pray.  Not having a clue where to begin, I hijacked a prayer list (my apologies if you can’t figure out how you ever got on my list) and then I started sending out prayer requests for marriage.  “Pray for M.O.M” (Marriages on Mondays) was the early subject line.  I assumed that after a few months of reminders, people would just automatically pray each Monday. Perhaps you do remember to pray without the reminder, but I just haven’t been able to stop reminding you.  Not because of me, but because of His abundant grace.  J  Your marriage and/or that of your family or friends is just too important to Him.

Put to death, then, the parts of you that are earthly: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and the greed that is idolatry. Now you must put them all away: anger, fury, malice, slander, and obscene language out of your mouths. Stop lying to one another, since you have taken off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed, for knowledge, in the image of its creator. Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do. And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection. And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body. And be thankful. Colossians 3:5, 8-10, 12-15

I am deeply thankful for each of you, as today marks the 6-year anniversary of that first email.  My heart leaps with joy when I contemplate that one day, the Lord will reveal to each of you the fruit of your prayers.   I will pray for your endurance in this marathon of prayer that encompasses both marriage and family.  Pray for me as well, that I persevere in praying and prodding.  United in spirit and with the Spirit, our collective prayer for each other will make a difference.  Pray always and forever. May He abundantly bless all of you!

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Change marriages over time, one prayer at a time.  Pass it on!