Monday, February 19, 2018

Pray for Marriages (A Slow Fast)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Later this week I’m scheduled for a routine screening procedure that requires specific preparation and fasting. I have been reading through the instructions with a fine-tooth comb so the results of my fasting will be perfect. This got me thinking; do I take this much care when my fasting is of a spiritual nature? Am I concerned about precision adherence? Or do I allow myself all sorts of slip-ups, because I don’t think it will effect the outcome…a change in me?

When we fast, we both prepare for and empty ourselves so that we can be filled with something better.  But perhaps food isn’t what you need to fast from.  Perhaps it’s fromTV? Video games? Alcohol?  Profanity? Un-forgiveness? Pride? Vanity? Smoking? Attitude!?

Is this the manner of fasting I would choose, a day to afflict oneself? […] Is this not, rather, the fast that I choose: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking off every yoke? Is it not sharing your bread with the hungry, bringing the afflicted and the homeless into your house; Clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own flesh? Isaiah 58:5-7

When fasting, we wait in anticipation for what will change…and change can be slow…especially when it is within us.

What are YOU willing to fast for? Your marriage? The marriage of another? That is what I am challenging you to this week, a fast! You decide what from and for how long.  Only you know what is sacrificial.

I will be praying and fasting for YOU

Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed; Your vindication shall go before you, and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.  Isaiah 58:8

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Less is more. Pass it on!