Monday, August 9, 2021

Pray for Marriages (The Wages of Stages)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

 

Contemplating all the stages of a marriage and what couples go through, I was wondering what phase we should pray for. 


  • Newlywed – Beautifully blind to all that lies ahead
  • Year 1 – Difficulty transitioning from “I” to “we”
  • Before kids – Unexpected discovery of areas you aren't aligned on 
  • First child – “Could I get some help here!”
  • After maternity leave – “I can’t handle the “second shift alone!”
  • Second Child – We have been dividing and conquering, but what happened to “us”?
  • Additional children – (Arguments over how many) “How did our parents do this??” 
  • Parenting – “Could you back me up?!?”
  • Differing Schedules – ““Maybe one of us should stay home?” (As long as it’s not me!)
  • Teen/Activity Years – Disagreements about $$$
  • College Years – Alone at last! Rediscovering “us” without the children.  Readjusting. 
  • Failure to Launch years – Home after college “Will they ever leave?  Do we start charging rent?”
  • Adult children making decisions you don’t approve of – Blame game? 
  • Empty Nesters – “Why don’t the kids call/visit more?” (Missing the third dimension)
  • Becoming In-laws – “Hope they like how we put the fun in dys“fun”ction!
  • Becoming grandparents – “How truly blessed we are!” 
I am sure all of you could add to the list.  Who could survive without some heavenly assistance?

 

I will lead the blind on a way they do not know; by paths they do not know I will guide them. I will turn darkness into light before them, and make crooked ways straight. These are my promises: I made them, I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16

 

We do not walk alone. Through each phase, we unexpectedly grow in hope, kindness, patience, endurance, faith, peace, perseverance, gentleness, and self-control. What a gift!

 

Pick the years that were the most difficult for you, and pray for couples who are having similar struggles. Conversely, also choose the stage that was most joyous for you and say a prayer of praise and thanksgiving, asking that other couples experience that as well!

 

Praise the LORD, my soul; I will praise the LORD all my life, sing praise to my God while I live. Psalm 146:2

 

Peace, Joy, and Love,

Janet

 

Everyone welcomes encouragement, so pass it on!