Monday, April 25, 2022

Pray for Marriages (Encouragement and Understanding)

Greeting Prayer Warriors, 


Throughout life, we get many messages from family and loved ones that seep in, even if we try to block them.  My well-intentioned mom, who turns 93 today (say a prayer for a birthday blessing please!) with no prompting on my part, decided to tell me that marriage isn’t meant to be fun.  I think she continued on with other marital negativities, which I tried to put in the proper bucket.  I don’t discount her because she and my father were married 47 years due to their faith and belief in the indissolubility of marriage.  Sometimes though, we need to hear encouraging words! Yes, marriage is a struggle, but each sacrifice can be a beautiful offering to the Lord as well a path to sanctification and a growth in the virtues. My parents’ marriage only ended with the passing of my father. I will give my mother allowances for not having a filter anymore as well as being a witness to perseverance through difficult times.  However, the conversation  got me thinking about how our expectations and behaviors in marriage are often shaped by what we see and hear from childhood onwards.  We rarely hear anyone talk about how to have a good, solid, healthy, and holy marriage.


Listen to your father who begot you, do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy truth and do not sell: wisdom, instruction, understanding! Proverbs 23:22-23


May [all] be encouraged as they are brought together in love, to have all the richness of fully assured understanding, for the knowledge of the mystery of God, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2: 2-3


Let us pray for the healing of memories, wounds, falsehoods, distortions,, and of all things that would make you think that marriage could never be good, fun, unified, holy, and so on. You are beautiful in the eyes of the Lord.  He loves both you and your spouse (or future spouse) despite all your sins and shortcomings.  He awaits your calling out to Him, as He has so much grace and many gifts yet to give you.


The one who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then he said, “Write these words down, for they are trustworthy and true.” Revelation 21:5


Journey on in faith, hope, and in prayer, for it will bring about the charity you struggle to show, give, and receive. 


Peace, Joy, and Love,

Janet


You never walk alone. Pass it on!