Friday, September 16, 2022

Pray for Families (Joy in the Stillness)

 Greetings Prayer Warriors,


We are a culture wired to go, go, go!  So much to do, so little time!!   Currently, I am  blessed to be gifted with some extended time off.  My biggest challenge yet is to resist the urge to fill every minute with activity.  How might I be still long enough to savor the beauty of all of God’s creation? How might I quiet myself to heart the whisper of God and not just do all the talking? How might I integrate more quiet and stillness into my life? What impact will this have on my family, my relationships?


Be still and know that I am God! Psalm 46:10


Stillness is a challenge.  Even nature needs to be called out sometimes!


He woke up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!”  The wind ceased and there was great calm. Then he asked them, “Why are you terrified? Do you not yet have faith?” Mark 4:39-40


Is our busyness a lack of faith?  Do we delude ourselves into believing our activity means we are in control? Are we indirectly or directly telling God, “I’ve got this. I no longer need your help or trust that you will help me! I’ll call you if I mess up!” Or rather, do we humble ourselves, and admit we need the Lord’s help in all aspects of our lives, especially in the feeding, sheltering, care, and protection of our families? Do we have faith enough to expect a response?


Until now you have not 
asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. John 16:24

Have you noticed that certain people bring you peace? They tend to be calm, quiet, and prayerful  people. Consider the impact your stillness will have on those around you, especially your family. This is not a call to dereliction of duty, but a call to prioritize stillness in your day.  What kinetic busyness can you surrender to God?  Take this slice of time and instead, use it to pray and be present for your family members.  Even better, make this a time for family prayer.


The God of peace be with all of you. Amen. Romans 15:33


Peace, Joy, and Love, 

Janet


Find new joy in the quiet and the stillness.  Pass it on.