Friday, August 22, 2014

Pray for Families (Bringing holy back)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Just as the word “sin” seems to have fallen out of the vernacular, so has the word “holy”.  Whereas at one time parents would teach their children to strive for holiness, as the virtue slipped from their lives, so too it disappeared from their children’s. 

Out of curiosity, I wondered how the word currently existed in the dictionary.  I admit I was a bit shocked when on Merriam-Webster online the definition of “holy” was so sparse!
ho·ly  adjective \ˈhō-lē\ : connected to a god or a religion: religious and morally good—used in phrases that show surprise or excitement
Per their definition, if this country continues on its trajectory of trying to eliminate God, morality, and the free practice of religion, and society continues to embrace the antonym of holiness, will the word be purged from the dictionary?

Luckily, Dictionary.com renewed my faith:

Holy [hoh-lee] adjective
1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.
5. entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.
6. religious: holy rites
7. inspiring fear, awe, or grave distress: The director, when angry, is a holy terror.

Here’s your challenge.  Let’s bring holy back into focus.   Starting with ourselves, through prayer and fasting, let’s strive to be holy in thought, work, and action. Ask the Lord to make you the spark that ignites the same desire in your family and your friends.  Introduce the word into conversation.  Not by exclaiming, “Holy cow!” but perhaps asking a family member what it means to them.  Let’s change the trajectory of this nation, one person at a time.  I will pray for each of you.  Please pray for one another as well. 

The nations will know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD, when through you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes. A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances.  Ezekial 23, 26-27

But as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." 1 Peter 1:15-16

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Holiness begins with prayer.  Pass it on!