Monday, August 25, 2014

Pray for Marriages (Saved by the Savior)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

I just love Saint Peter, probably because I totally identify with him.  Not the saintly part, but all his failings.  Words are easy, but living those words can be very difficult, especially during times of trial. 

Peter said to him, “Even though all should have their faith shaken, mine will not be.” Then Jesus said to him, “Amen, I say to you, this very night before the cock crows twice you will deny me three times.” But he vehemently replied, “Even though I should have to die with you, I will not deny you.” And they all spoke similarly.  Mark 14:29-31

Shortly thereafter, Peter denies Him 3 times.

Similarly, saying the marriage vows “until death do us part” sounds easy when in the throes of love.  But with all the trials of married life, parenthood, and a spouse’s suddenly apparent flaws, it is all too easy to want to walk away or call for a “do-over!” (divorce).

However, one should be encouraged that through Peter, the Lord shows us an example of His unfathomable mercy.  He gives Peter another opportunity to prove His love and to right his wrong.

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” [Jesus] said to him, “Feed my sheep. Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.” John 21:15-19

So too with us.  Jesus calls us to follow Him.  He wants to bathe us with His mercy. He may not call us to martyrdom like Peter, but He does call all of us to surrender our will to His.  This movement of our souls allows Him to save us.  And when a couple jointly surrenders to Him, He will save their marriage too. 

We are all weak like Peter.  Let us raise our voices in prayer for marriages that all may be given the grace, especially when at a crossroads, to show the Lord how much they love Him. 

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Everyone needs a Savior. Pass it on!