Friday, March 1, 2019

Pray for Families (Blindness of Judgement)

Greetings Prayer Warriors,

Self-reflection can be very revealing.  Sometimes I find that going astray begins with very good intent. In trying to help someone or perhaps a larger community, what begins as a goal for good, can quickly derail. Perhaps it is because a weakness is often a strength in overdrive.  Thus, we become blind to the fact that we may no longer be achieving good for others let alone ourselves.

What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate. Now if [I] do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. Romans 7:15-20
  • Have you ever performed a kindness for someone only to see your joy turn into resentment when they didn’t respond in the manner expected?
  • Have you ever volunteered your time for a project that ended up being a source of your unattractive pride and ego gratification?
  • Have you ever offered someone assistance, and later justified the “questionable path” to your goal by the good of your intent?
  • If we break the law to do what we feel is “good”, is it still good?
On a larger scale, consider the saying, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” On the surface both are good, but one enables dependence, while the other empowers one to be independent. Which is the greater good?

Lord, shine your light upon us and restore our “sight” by giving us wisdom.  Remove the scales from our eyes. Purge us of our pride, and clothe us with your humility. As we seek to serve you, we ask not only that you show us the right path, but that you be our guardrails.  Fill our hearts with charity so that all will know we are Yours, for evangelization speaks loudest through our actions. May our families come to know you better as they experience and witness our good.  Lord, in your loving kindness, may your draw our family members close to your Sacred Heart.

Scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. Acts 9:18

Peace, Joy, and Love,
Janet

Share your goodness and kindness of heart. Pass it on!